Another Broken Bone?!?

A few weeks ago, when Katelyn was getting her cast off, she said,
"Next time I break my arm, I'm gonna get a blue cast!"

Well...


It's broken!

Same arm, different bone.

What was she doing this time? Jumping on the dangerous trampoline? Jumping from the top of the steps? Nope. She was walking. Just walking.

It was last Tuesday, right before Ali and I had our interview at Children's Hospital for their therapy dog program. I really wanted to take Ali for a nice long walk to get rid of some of her energy before the obedience test. In true Colorado style, huge black storm clouds rolled in just as we were getting ready to leave the house. As soon as a teeny bit of sun came out though, we were off. Copper, Ali, Katelyn and I headed to the open space trail up the road and began a nice hour-long walk. We'd just turned from the gravel path onto the sidewalk, hurrying to get home before it started raining again, and Katelyn tripped and fell. She landed on her knees and broke her fall with both hands. She falls in this exact manner at least 2-3 times a week - seriously! So she started crying, and her knee was scraped and bleeding, and I had to carry her on my back the last 1/4 mile home. We got home just before the rain started again, and I was rushing to get ready to leave. Katelyn was still crying a bit, mostly about her knee, although she did say her hand hurt. Her wrist was a bit swollen, but she was still using her hand, so Kenny and I didn't think it was too seriously hurt. We joked that we should all go to the hospital, and while Ali and I were interviewing, Kenny would take Katelyn to the ER. Two birds, one stone?

The next morning, her wrist was a little more swollen, and Katelyn was still saying that it hurt. When I told her we were going to the doctor, it was all the sudden better and didn't hurt anymore - not a bit! But I took her to Children's anyway, and sure enough - it was broken! This time it's her radius, and the fracture is a lot less serious than the last one - it didn't need reduction or surgery, just 5 weeks in a cast.

It was splinted for 3 days to allow the swelling to go down, then we saw the orthopedist on Friday. They all love Katelyn there and remember her well. They couldn't believe that we were back, we'd just had the last follow-up visit for her last injury two weeks before! Katelyn was set on a blue cast still, until we walked into the exam room and she saw pink. It had to be pink. So pink it is, and Brown Bear has a pink cast again too!

They casted it above her elbow to prevent rotation and to make sure that she didn't aggravate her elbow during the fall. In two weeks, we'll be able to get a short arm cast (below the elbow) that's waterproof - yay! At least she'll be able to swim!

On a positive note, Ali passed her obedience test with flying colors! They loved her (who doesn't?) and we're in! They still have to do behavior testing and a medical exam on Ali, a medical screening for me, and orientation. But it's all downhill from here - I'm so excited!

Kasie  – (7/1/09, 11:46 AM)  

Wow. That's just crazy how it happened! Poor Katelyn.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP