A Reason
>> Friday, July 9, 2010 –
Puppies
As if I needed another reason to love what I do with Ali.
This is from a group of amazing kids that Ali and I met a few weeks ago. At the request of one of the speech pathologists, we went to a social skills group and met with deaf and hearing-impaired kids at Children's. What a fun experience!
Most kids are not that impressed when they see Ali's one and only trick - shake. But these kids were amazed! They all lined up, and Ali sat and shook each of their hands, one by one. (Actually, I was kind of amazed too - she did it eight times in a row, with no treat in sight!)
They were very interested in the "signs" I used to get Ali to sit, or stay, or lay down. Then they promptly showed me the correct (ASL) signs! They were excited to learn that Ali's brother Copper, who is going deaf, has learned the sign for "potty," and wondered why he doesn't have a hearing aid like they do.
Ali really loved this visit. She is used to seeing sick, sad, and hurt kids, and I think she absorbs a lot of their stress and sadness. When we get home from visiting, she's usually exhausted, and I don't think it's a physical exhaustion. But after meeting with this group of kids, she left energized! Excited! Ready to go home and take on the world! (Or at least take on the neighborhood squirrels.)
I certainly don't need another reason to love what we do. But this picture makes my heart smile all the same!
