Roller Skates and New Friends

New neighbors moved in on our street, two houses down.  We met them and their 5-year-old twins, and Katelyn and the boys have been inseparable ever since!

Almost every day now I hear the doorbell and, "Can Katelyn come out and play?"  It brings back lots of childhood memories of playing with the neighborhood kids.  But it's also kind of bittersweet for me.  How did my baby get so big?  How is it that she can walk down the street all by herself and knock on her friends' door?  *Sniffle*  They spend all day riding their bikes up and down the sidewalk together or jumping on the trampoline (ours, then theirs, ours again, theirs again...)  And every day, despite never coming close to success, they try to catch the baby bunny living under our front porch.  With a butterfly net.

Katelyn just got new skates, so most recently, they've also been skating.

Decked out in her new gear.
 

Aww!
 

The experienced skaters explain how it's done.


Resulting in much happiness.









*Sigh*  She's growing up.


I can't help but think of another friendship that started between two different kids, living on the same street, two houses down.

Me and my best friend in 1985.


And still best friends today.  :)

Kasie  – (5/18/10, 11:14 AM)  

Wow! I'd never seen that picture of you and Tova before. So cute!

I'm glad Katelyn is making new friends. Have fun roller skating Katelyn, but remember, try roller blades when you get older: they're so much better!

Tovah  – (5/18/10, 1:32 PM)  

*sniffle* you brought tears to my eyes with this post.

It may start off with roller skating - then will it be making ice rinks in the backyard?!? :-)

I remember you got roller blades before me. When I finally got a pair I went straight to your house to ask you to come out and skate with me. That's when you showed me your scraped up knee. (Good thinking - buying Katelyn knee pads!)

Miss you a ton!

Joy  – (5/18/10, 3:31 PM)  

I know! I had 3 stitches, my knee was in a brace, and I couldn't skate for weeks. It was torture! So yes Kasie, Katelyn may try roller blading, but ONLY with knee pads! And I'm pretty sure she won't be able to convince me to make an ice skating rink. Ever. ;) Miss you too Tov!

Aja~swelldove  – (6/16/10, 12:59 PM)  

Beautiful post Joy!!!

Love the pic or you and Tova;)

Best friends are good!!

Miss you BF!!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP