New York Driving

So we finally got a nice enough day last weekend where we could give Katelyn her last birthday present. (I write this looking at 3 inches of snow on the ground. But at least we had one nice day.)

She LOVES her bike! She hasn't quite mastered the pedaling yet, or the steering for that matter... But the bell - she's got the ringing thing down! She rings it at every car that passes. Which makes me think of another day not too long ago...

We were driving somewhere, trying to make a right turn. I say "trying" because there was a car in front of us who simply would not go. For those of you who don't live in Colorado, this is pretty common - people here simply can't drive. They love to go slow in the left lane and cannot merge for anything. There was no merging required on this day, we were turning into our very own lane, and still, this lady wouldn't go. I finally got frustrated enough to honk the horn and say, "C'mon lady!" to remind her that, yes, she does indeed have her own lane. She finally goes (yay!) and then from the back seat I hear, "Mommy, beep beep!"

"That's right Katelyn, Mommy went beep beep," was my reply. And then under my breath, "You could probably drive better than this lady."

"Yeah," she said, "I drive. I go beep beep! GET OUT THE WAY!!" Well said, Katelyn. Well said.

So watch out pedestrians, cyclists, and dogs - there is another New York driver on the sidewalks. You can take us out of New York, but you can't take New York out of our offspring!! :)

Posted by Picasa

Anonymous –   – (1/31/08, 10:41 AM)  

That's so cute! Lol, I remember when we were all teasing Walter with his driving when you guys visited. (poor Walter!) But in TN, he seems to fit in very well, since most drivers down here tend to drive on the slow/cautious side. It annoys me to no end... :-)

Interesting to note, in VA you can get your learner's permit when you're 15 1/2! I wonder what kind of driver I'll be when I eventually learn.

Anonymous –   – (1/31/08, 11:49 AM)  

Kasie - I remember one time when you were 9 or 10, we were all driving in the big van (what did you name it - Willie?) Anyway, Mom was driving on Widmer behind a slow car, and you yelled from the very back, "C'mon, why are you going SO SLOW?!?"

I think you'll be a NY driver. ;)

Anonymous –   – (1/31/08, 1:35 PM)  

I've been honked at twice for "catching the moment" and zipping out into on-coming traffic - which is the only way you can get anywhere in NY - but in TN the other cars considered me rude!

Anonymous –   – (2/1/08, 8:23 AM)  

Well now you've done it, Mom. Any hope we ever had of convincing Kenny to move to TN is gone if they drive like that! LOL, just kidding, there was never any hope. ;)

Anonymous –   – (2/1/08, 9:08 AM)  

How sweet! Katelyn must be talking up a storm by now
Hope y'all are doing well way out west!

Anonymous –   – (2/1/08, 9:09 AM)  

Oops Sorry! forgot to sign my name!

-Angie

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP